“And Jesus called them to him and said to them, ‘You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.’” - Mark:10:42-45 “In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” - Acts:20:35
The Spring Glen Church has an active lay leadership, and we are no exception! The Board of Deacons aids the Pastors in determining the character of public worship, forms, and rites, and assists them in caring for the spiritual life of the parish. We are an enthusiastic group, driven by a strong sense of servant leadership and willingness to serve the congregation.
Deacons endeavor to make sure that every event at the church runs smoothly – this includes regular worship as well as special events such as weddings or funerals. We welcome new members, coordinate ushers, accept responsibility for all in-discernment candidates for ministry, recruit greeters, deliver flowers at Easter and Christmas to those who have experienced loss in the past year, assist with baptisms, prepare and serve Holy Communion, and participate in Christmas, Lenten, and other special services such as Maundy Thursday and Confirmand Sunday.
Organizationally, the Deacons also oversee the following groups:
- Altar Guild Subcommittee is in charge of supplying chancel flowers and changing paraments. They also decorate the sanctuary for Christmas and Easter.
- Usher Subcommittee helps welcome and seat the congregation during worship.
- Friends & Fellowship Subcommittee provides ongoing visitation and care to members in need of companionship. Each caregiver is assigned a single shut in, and spends about an hour a month visiting.
- Memorial Garden Subcommittee maintains the Memorial Garden as a place of beauty and meditation, and for interment of ashes.
- Tape Ministry Subcommittee records the service weekly and prepares audio copies of the service for distribution.